Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mario Kart's Legacy

I play Mario Kart DS all the time on the go or even at home, which seems silly when a big hulking 360 is looking me down next to a shiny LCD screen. I'm a big fan of Mario Kart so during E3 hearing and seeing the new trailer of Mario Kart got me really excited, enough to pony over the dough for a 3DS maybe? Man this looks just horrid, lol. I'm not the biggest graphics snob but transitioning from the modern gen console graphics to the pre-gen, I guess or maybe it's first gen, is a big step in technology and you can see it.

As I was playing I felt like I was going to have a seizure anytime with the frame rate not as good as what we have now with video games. Yes I do enjoy your game at 60 frames a second or even close is good too. I also found myself wanting to power slide around every corner as well. It's basically like being able to fly and then going back to just jumping. Oh and speaking of jumping the feather power-up was great. It allowed you to jump and secure a faster route around the lap via a shortcut. This and collecting coins on the track that would make you go faster would be great if they were integrated with the newest game.

It was such a great game, not just because It was the first one (whoa check out this new racing game),  and I'm so glad they've continued Mario Kart's legacy to the 3DS. I would play online but my WiFi is not working anymore. However one of the neat features with Mario Kart is challenging AI, be it via crazy weapons or scripted hey look who's on my tail code. Sure it can be annoying to always have the Ai at your heels but it's this feature that's made me continue to play the franchise. Here's to some wacky new courses and of course HD graphics with Mario Kart on the 3DS this fall! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment